SIMPLY READ, INDULGE AND HEARD WITH WORDS

Monday, June 04, 2007

De one with Pirates of the Caribbean

Calm skies

"Yo, ho, haul together,
hoist the colors high.
Heave ho, thieves and beggars,
never say we die..."

I was around primary 3 when I was amazed by the Lego-set which my parents got for me. It was a ship, sailed by pirates. There was a particular piece which was rather outstanding... he was in black uniform with a hook on his right arm.. more significantly, he was a pirate.

Several years later, image from my child-play had magically transformed itself alive, all it's life captured in the cinema screens when the trilogy movie of "Pirates of the Caribbean" were released since 2003.

The very first installation of the block-buster, "POTC: Curse of the Black Pearl", was a pretty confusing show when I watched it on vcd instead of the cinemas. I recalled it took me 3 attempts before my concentration lasted me through the entire movie.

Funnily, it was supposed to be a child-appealing thingy back then!

Recalling the statement "Captain Jack's back" in the release of the trailer for the second installation "POTC: Deadman's Chest" in 2006? Not quite?

How about try this one.. the scene where Will Turner said he will not leave without Jack until he saw the natives chasing a fanatically-escaping Jack.. Ahha..

Having watched the second installation, back then I felt it was nothing interesting as compared to the Curse of the Black Pearl. It turned out more to be a "bridging" movie between the first and the last. Ironically, it turned out that the 2nd movie did presented new characters and a new storyline. Just that it didn't make much sense until the final installation hit the screens this year!

I watched "POTC: At World's End" with Honey last weekend, it was really cool.. but then, it's as complicated as before. Well, nevertheless, credit and applause must be given to the twist of plot. I never expected the Voodoo witch to be Calypso (never thought a greek mythical goddess was dragged into the story). A zillion crabs relating to the lusty goddess? Not forgetting, how Elizabeth Swann got appointed as the Pirate of Singapore (earlier featuring a familiar face: Chow Yun-Fat as Sao Feng). Aww.. the ending where handsome, gallant Will Turner to be bounded by the Flying Dutchman.

Besides the ironical-packed story plot, the music captured my attention. It was the Love theme between Davy Jones and Calypso, which was aggressive and different from the sweet melody in the 2nd movie. The Medallion call's theme, featured mostly in the previous installations were replaced too, by Chinese tunes and fierce battle themes.

Of course, the awesome fighting scenes and this particular scene where Will and Elizabeth being wedded in the midst of a battle.. it was really "lame" yet entertaining.

For what I think, it was a brilliant movie. Not really extravagant as Spiderman or LOTR, it thrived on it's own unique theme of shabby and witty pirates. To make things further complicating, there were alot of negotiation.. Gees.. does the kids understand or are they just there to audience the thrilling actions?

Silly but I can't help thinking why must most block-busters like POTC and LOTR stop with trilogies. Anyhow, should there be a POTC 4, I'm very sure I won't give it a miss.

"Ooh.. Peanut!"

No comments: