SIMPLY READ, INDULGE AND HEARD WITH WORDS

Saturday, March 14, 2009

De one with Gundam Models

Past times

The fascinations with Gundam Seed, Gundam Destiny or even Gundam models didn't begin until I reached the age of 20. This was after the prime "age of animation craze" which happened early when I was around 17 - 18.

There's a reason for everything in my life. Figured that would have to be due to a person who influenced me a fair bit. I recalled I was getting this Gundam model as a birthday gift for this friend and I thought, why not develop a collection. The teenager's passion for something born of a momentary interest was too temptingly irresistable. In the next 2 weeks, 4 models were already assembled. Guilty as it cost a bomb, too much within such short time. Then again, all I knew back then was the interest took precedence, worries about Daddy's query could come later. *smile shyly*

Unfortunately, I didn't like collections without pocessing any history or its origin. Hence, I immersed myself into the entire 8 parts of the Gundam Seed anime within the next month. Having better knowledge, choosing the Gundam models became clearer, preferential and satisfying.

In the blink of an eye, the Gundam collection approached 10.

If you'd ask me if the collection was worth it, it certainly was. Why? Assembling of the plastic models revived the joy of doing the same for a fighter plane F16, a sovenir I bought at the Aero-show when I was in Primary 4. School excursion. Coolest arty experience I ever got.

The love for assembling surfaced since my early childhood. I recalled fixing those two-piece airplanes which was made of styrofoam and costs 20cents. Guess the sense of "great" achievement was the intriguing reward a boy could possibly get!

Then came Jurassic magazine which enables me to collect and assemble the bone-structure of a T-Rex. Freaking awesome!

Growing into the twenties doesn't mean these precious past liking for assembling things or "ability to create" something out of other things are eroded. We just move on to more intermediate levels and pretty sure I found likewise in my Gundam collection. It's better when you figure a way to detach the pieces from the stanzas, how and where to apply glue such that it wouldn't appear ugly or imperfect. All these requires coordination and a fair bit of conceptualisation from the blue-prints to the actual stuff in your hands. Brillant challenge.

After completion, I feel a sense of accomplishment having witness how the stanzaful of tiny parts constructed into a visible figurine. Wuao..

Like a lollipop which wouldn't last forever, the passion leaks. On an ocassion I packed the boxes of Gundam into my storeroom disappointed as I didn't have showcases to display my collection, I thought I should step out of my "wasting-money" hobby and move on. And I did! Convinced collections were not like toys, they can be played or throw around in my imagined story-lines. Only purely assembled for exhibition.

Yet recently, the supressed interest set ablazed. Think it won't hurt to get my long-awaited Akatsuki Gundam!!

Ooooo.. I'm gonna get my hands on this some day.

No comments: